On Jun 9, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, John Baldwin wrote:

The *really* hot machine is going to be the OSX ABI supported under
FreeBSD and running Aqua.  I betcha this happens FAST.

I doubt it would be fast at all if it even happens.  Unlike Linux,
svr4, and ibcs2, OS X is not just a POSIXish UNIX kernel.  It also

Or Mac OS X moves to use the FreeBSD kernel. It seems like I have heard
this before.

What kernel-level Mac OS X/Darwin features does FreeBSD lack? Its file
system? File bundles?

Mach. Darwin also does some things that we do the same differently for various reasons.

Any websites that quickly list differences between features and drivers
for FreeBSD and Darwin?

Not that I'm aware of. When it comes to writing device drivers though, the model is completely different on OS X.

I have to wonder if Apple internally and secretly is already testing
FreeBSD to run its Mac OS X.

I highly doubt that since OS X runs on x86 hardware very well right now and has been for the last 5 years.

--
John Baldwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/