Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

David Cuthbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Dag-Erling Smørgrav <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Don Dugger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
C++ and C are languages that are defined by ANSI
No they're not.  It may surprise you to learn that there is a whole
world outside the USA which does not care one whit about ANSI.
This would be news to those involved in the standardization process,
who went through great pains to ensure that ISO C90 was the same as
ANSI C89, ANSI C++98 was the same as ISO C++98, and ANSI C2000 was
the same as ISO C99...

Whatever you may think, C and C++ are not defined by ANSI.  They're
defined by ISO's JTC1/SC22, working groups 14 and 21, respectively.
While it is very nice of ANSI to adopt the result of that work as
national standards for the US, it is largely irrelevant for the
remaining 6 billion people on the planet.

And please get a proper MUA, so I don't have to fix your quoting when
replying.

DES
Not that any of this really matter's, but this was not the way I remembered it happening so I did a little looking. Bjarne Stroustrup says in his book "The C++ Programming Language" Third Edition (I think he had something do with c++) on page 11 that the ISO standard was taken from the ANSI standard and "From 1990, these joint C++ standards committees have been the main forum for the evolution of C++ and the refinement of its of its definition." I also noticed that the g++ compiler has a "-ansi" option. BTW where's Bjarne from? In the book he mentions Murray Hill,
New Jersey but with that name I think he from somewhere else.
And let me say this is not important other I used the term ANSI and maybe I should have just said
standards committee which was my point.

Don 8)