Andrew Boothman wrote:
Brett Glass wrote:
At 01:35 PM 5/12/2006, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

Patch Tuesday again, I guess.

Yes. We call them "Black Tuesdays," because the Windows machines go out
and mount a very effective denial of service attack on our supply of
bandwidth. We've had to work out all kinds of ways to limit the impact.

If you're using Microsoft servers you can serve patch upgrades from your own servers instead of having each desktop contact Microsoft.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/technologies/featured/wsus/default.mspx

Might be worth using even if you don't normally use Microsoft servers if the monthly updates cause you big enough bandwidth problems?

That and disabling Automatic Updates. Corporate computers should never be in charge of their own upgrades.