On 6/18/06, David Hoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 6/18/06, Dennis Olvany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> ...facts are not eligible for copyright.
>
> > I'm afraid you're incorrect.  The work in question is indeed
> copyrightable
> > under the Berne Convention, which many countries have ratified,
> including
> > the United States, where the content is hosted.  The United States, as
> well
> > as many other countries, also have national laws which allow this work
> > to be
> > copyrighted.
>
> At best, the article may be considered a derivative work of the
> described software/hardware and therefore the intellectual property of
> the respective manufacturers.

First you say only 'literary or artistic' works, and not 'facts' (hint:
the article was more than just facts), are elligible for copyright, and now
you say that, not only are 'facts' elligible for copyright, but that they
hold such a strong copyright that works which refer to facts published
elsewhere are necessarily derivative and are not elligible for a seperate
copyright by the writer.  Which is it?  You can't have both.  And, really,
you can't have either:  there are a multitude of works that are 'derivative'
in the sense you describe, yet hold perfectly valid copyrights.  Don't
believe me?  Try hosting a bunch of O'Reilly books on a site hosted in a
country that respects copyright.

Now, even if you're correct that Brett doesn't have a valid copyright
(which he does) and that unspecified entities unknown own the copyright to
the article (which they don't), we still have the same problem:  FreeBSD
claiming to own something they don't, and not even attributing it to its
true authors.