On 31/08/06, Andy Ruhl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 8/31/06, Charles M. Hannum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually, defining (poorly) the OS to include so much else has been a
> liability for NetBSD in many ways.  It has massively slowed the adoption
> of new software versions (e.g. GCC), for one.  It also contributed to
> the perception that a better package system and automatic updates were
> not a serious issue.

It would be interesting to hear more discussion on this.

If there is a continuum that is what the definition of an OS is, with
a bare kernel on the left and something like SuSE with multiple gigs
of junk on the right, NetBSD is toward the left. I think consensus is
among NetBSD people is that this is a good thing. If you want
something, put it in pkgsrc.

To be fair, it's easy to remove 'junk' from SuSE, and not much harder to
pile junk into a working Gentoo, Slackware or NetBSD installation.

Ironically one complaint that's often voiced at SuSE is that its selection
of rpm junk isn't as extensive as other distros'.

Jeff.