Andy Ruhl wrote:
On 8/31/06, Thorsten Glaser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

BSD is about an operating system, not about a kernel.

Bingo. Good point. This point is lost sometimes.

I believe NetBSD has the proper philosophy in regards to the entire OS
as well. I don't want apache built in, for instance.

This is a silly definition (imho) which I first heard Stallman use, but seems to be spreading. Every book on operating systems that I own, or have read, defines an operating system as the kernel. Different applications, including even shells, are not the operating system.

But that's just my opinion, of course. But most of all, I don't see the relevance of bringing the discussion down to a hair-splitting of what an operating system is.

        Johnny