On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Miod Vallat wrote:

If the vendor is supporting the driver, and working with the community,
then one would hope that they would also fix the driver as bug reports
come in about it ...

That's too many ifs to be realworld-compatible.

And actually the only vendors I can think of which are working with the
community actually provide documentation, if only because it is simpler
for them to spend time on documentation than on code for N different
systems.

ICP Vortex (aka Adaptec) were providing drivers on their web site for FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x that are included in both source trees ... it was a binary driver, as far as I'm aware, but source code ... and Adaptec doesn't provide documentation ...