On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I've been through many M&A deals.  MS will be able to successfully argue
that the MS+Yahoo! combo does not constitute a monopoly, since:
1) the share of search of the combined companies does not equal that of
it's competitor, Google (source:
http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=3627122)

Those numbers are quite different than those presented on the news
I saw the other day.  Google was up to 62%, and I feel like I remember
MSN being doing to 2.9%.  Yahoo is harder for me to recall, but 18.9%
seems right.  My memory is foggy I guess, because I am failing to see
how it adds up to 100%

this site is more update, and jibes with yours a little better

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/01/nielsen-google-yahoo-losing-search-share-to-msn-not-a-typo.html

heh  {:}  maybe I mistook 2.9% for 12.9%

2) The combination of MS and Yahoo! does not preclude any
search/portal/email competitor from entering the market.

All of this assumes a few things:
1) Yahoo's shareholders believe the deal represents a good value
2) Google doesn't start a bidding war for Yahoo that MS can't sustain
The Yahoo! BoD has a responsibility to solicit competetive offers, so who
knows?

But, assuming that MS is the suitor of choice, we will see MS and Yahoo!
minimizing their market penetration, until they are on the other side of
the close.

I cannot see the US DoJ blocking this transaction.

Jerry
http://www.syslog.org