Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Chuck Robey <chu...@telenix.org> wrote:
>> You said that most written things are hierarchical.  Sorry, I strongly
>> disagree,
>
> I disagree also.  Nobody on this thread said that except you.  Your
> entire response is based on this significant mis-quote.

Yeah, I did a fubar, and in that sentence, inverted things by droppig the word
"not".  My comments were all directed towards the fact that xml is (and
enforces) a hierarchical approach to writing, and that (outside of tech manuals
and web pages) most written things aren't hierarchical in nature.

> What I did say, is that _technical manuals_ are generally
> hierarchical, and I was also thinking of some of the same examples you
> brought up (scifi books, personal correspondence, etc..) when choosing
> which qualifier to use when writing that statement.
>
> You actually agree with this statement later in this mail where you
> acknowledge that tech manuals and the handbook benefit from this
> approach "but not most things".

Again, pretty obvious, when you give the fact that I'd left out the "not".  I'd
have thought that would have been a more obvious mistake, given my original
post's nature.

>> which are easily handled by far simpler tools) very few of them have any
>> need of
>> hierarchical database approaches.  At least my Physics textbooks, which I'm
>
> My use of hierarchy was based on chapters, sections, and paragraphs,
> as I said in my mail.  My textbooks all had that.

Is there a difference between a book where the information is organized in
topics, and a book which is full of references which change all the time and
could benefit from using a database approach?  I could as well claim that the
Bible needed that support, instead of merely being broken up for easier access.
 It ought to be clearly obvious that most printed materials have no intrinsic
need for any of xml's database-like features (like, say, any commercial web site
obviously *does* need).

  You have moved the
> discussion from a hierarchy of chapters, sections, and paragraphs into
> one involving "hierarchical database approaches".

Wow, that bothers me, it's a direct distortion.  I have posted on this twice.
In the first one, I never even mentioned the terms Chapters, sections, or
paragraphs, and in the second, I only mentioned chapters in passing, to show
that their use in most printed matter was merely to allow easier topic access,
NOT to supply the kind of database access commonly used by commercial websites
like Newegg.  Since I started this thread, it's never been a "discussion from a
hierarchy of chapters, sections, and paragraphs", it's always been an
examination of the usefulness of xml in printed matter.  I made one error at the
top, in dropping the word "non", but that's as far as it goes, fella.

My thesis is (and has been) that xml's main added feature over pre-existing
formatters (like groff) is that xml  requires a hierarchical approach so that
database techniques can be used, and that those database features are an
unneeded frill in most printed matter.  And,  that merely breaking things up
into chapters makes no use of those database features, so terribly and obviously
used in most commercial websites.

And, I detailed a host of features groff has that xml has never had.  NO ONE AT
ALL was discussing chapters, paragraphs, and sections.  I made one error at the
top, dropping (once) the word "non".  Outside of your distortion, that's your
whole argument?

Could we move this BACK to the topic of groff versus xml?