KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

Charlie Kester <corky1...@comcast.net> writes:
Not the cheapest way to heat a room, but it's probably the most fun!

Elementary thermodynamics: a computer and an electric heater produce the
exact same amount of heat per unit of electrical power consumed (modulo
energy transmitted outside the room over wireless or wired network, but
that's a vanishingly small amount)

"per unit consumed," but I guess you need a server farm to consume enough power to get the same effect? Maybe a server garden.
Well I have one room with 3 i386 machines. ranging from p2-p4 with only single cores. I have trapped my room off of my houses heat and have been happy with the combination of: heat that drifts in from the hallway to my room, body heat and electronic heat given off of these computers, a TV, a printer and a router. Rarely I use my laptop in my room as well but its never used for heat. My room is usually about 65-70 degrees and ignoring the fact that the house has a natural gas heater, if it had electric I would be saving money by keeping my heat off and my computers on, as my computers are always on, when ever I feel cold i either deal with it, put more clothes on or cuddle up with the wife. It's not a bad way to live at all. With the fact that the house has natural gas, it does save heat because my computers would be on anyways. This way I benefit from them more.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@des.no

  Kayven Riese, BSCS, MS (Physiology and Biophysics)
  (415) 902 5513 cellular
  http://kayve.net
  Webmaster http://ChessYoga.org