Jayton Garnett wrote:
 > Why would I be bothered about MIDI?

You wouldn't because you're obviously not a musician.

 > I've got an on-board sound card that has, get this, 5.1 Surround Sound. 5.1
 > surround sound, can you ruddy well believe it?

What does that have to do with MIDI?

I've got a MIDI keyboard that can be connected to a PC.
It can be used with almost every OS on the planet, from
ancient MS-DOS to Windows 7, of course OS X and Linux,
NetBSD and OpenBSD, and even less common systems like
OS/2, BeOS and its successor Haiku-OS.  They all support
MIDI interfaces out of the box.

But -- FreeBSD does not.  It's the only OS I cannot use
my keyboard with.  This is frustrating and annoying.

 > Come on, it's 2010, not 1985! Get with the times. Most content will be
 > streamed online within the next 5, a lot of it already is.
 > How will your MIDI cope then?
 >
 > mv /dev/midi* /dev/null    ;-)

Sounds like you don't know what MIDI really is, and how
important it still is for musicians.

Best regards
   Oliver

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."
        -- Doug Gwyn