On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 14:20:57 -0600, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> On 1/11/20 1:43 PM, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 14:11:38 -0500, Jerry wrote:
> > > The question you have to ask yourself is which is more
> > > important to you, cost or usability?
> > Unfortunately there is a third question.
> >
> > Are we willing to stand a restricted proprietary policy?
>
> I have been a serious photographer for over 4 decades.  I still
> shoot mostly film and process it myself in a wet darkroom.

Hi,

I'm more a musician and drawer, but somewhere boxed in a cellar room
I've got some rotten (wet/)analog darkroom gear.

> When I do shoot digital images, I use a pro-level Nikon D FX series
> camera.   I find GIMP (and Darktable) not restrictive in any meaningful
> way.  These tools far exceed my photo manipulation requirements.  The
> ONLY reason to use Photoshop is that it is the default go-to for
> professional studios and production houses.  That's where the pro
> ecosystem was built and remains.  This doesn't make it better, it's
> just the standard among pros.

It depends on what you want to achieve. I'm not a fan of photography,
but through my life I've done some photography, manipulating images
already when developing the film, as well as when develop pictures from
the film, but even by using brushes and air brush to manipulate already
developed photos. The digital domain is better for those purposes, since
it's easy to correct accidents, let alone that it's less time consuming
to mask a segment using e.g. GIMP, than when using foil and a scalpel to
do some airbrush.

> There are limitations to GIMP.  If you're shooting with a 16bit/color,
> 100Mpix back on a $50,000 digital camera, yeah, GIMP will be limiting.
> But for the 99.9999% of people who are manipulating far lower end
> imagery, GIMP is just fine.  But in this case, you're likely working
> on a Mac, not reading freebsd-questions :)

GIMP improved a lot, I doubt that it's that limited nowadays. In my
experiences GIMP became unstable. When using GIMP I usually switch from
"default" mode to "legacy" mode for the layers, to improve stability a
little bit. However, it's said that GIMP does high bit depth,
radiometrically correct editing etc. nowadays.

> In any case, the effort very few people bother with that makes way
> more of a difference than photo editor: Calibrating their monitor
> and printer (if they print their own stuff).  Color space matching is
> crucial if you want to get a final result that looks like what you see
> on screen.

As already pointed out related to Krita, display colour settings could
be a PITA, especially when using good EIZO or Apple displays. FWIW among
other I'm using a cheap EIZO display that simply is sRGB, but this
already doesn't work with the Krita sRGB settings, at least GIMP does.
Calibrating the monitor already starts with a correct colour setting
provided by the software. If the software already fails, you don't need
to spend any effort in calibrating the monitor.

> P.S. I would also note that most people vastly over manipulate their
> images.
>     I have seen more garish dreck produced with excessive HDR and
> color saturation adjustment than the most stoned filthy hippie
> painter in the 1960s could have imagined ...

Mushroom influenced pseudo-solarization :).

> P.P.S. A few examples of my work - some with fairly low rent
>       equipment.  All of the digital stuff and scans of the silver
>       prinnts edited with GIMP on an unremarkable Linux desktop:
>
>          Digital:
> https://www.tundraware.com/Photography/MyPhotographs/DigiPix/

The water photos remind me of those photos somebody has done in the
forest using special light, to make parts of the nature looking in a
fluorescent alike way. IOW the manipulation was done in the first place,
not by editing the photos.

Analog:
>   https://www.tundraware.com/Photography/MyPhotographs/Silver/

While in general I like colour more than black and white, I prefer those
analog photos from you over your digital photos. I suspect it's possible
to do the same with digital gear, too. I like them. It's a pity that I
can't see the original photo.

Regards,
Ralf

--
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”

― Charles Ives