>> Any current's more recent than about a month ago on my main system seem to
>> 'hang' on biord whenever they access the IDE drives...

> My test / compile box : Pentium III 450 MHZ with 8 gig ide disk drive
> does not hang at all . FreeBSD-current is about a week old.

Same here; K6-233 with 2 4 gig IDE drives, no problems at all.
I'm even using vinum.

Since you're running current, you might try Soren's new ATA driver,
its documented in LINT; I've been using it for several months with
no problems.  fwiw I booted the install disk today, it has the old wd
driver, and that accessed my drives fine as well.
--
we are but packets in the internet of life