On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> >Hello
> >
> >     I had tried it both ways, when I said having them symlinked to
> >ttyv0 and ttyv4 would panic with "fatal trap 12" It was suggested that I
> >use ttyp0 and ttyp4 respectfully.
>
> I don't think ttyp* will work.  I don't know who suggested it to you.
> I have never run Linux X server binaries on FreeBSD, but, I can assure
> you that ttyp* won't work.
>
> The ttyp* refers to the "pseudo" tty.  The Linux X server opens tty0
> and tty4 which are "virtual terminals" in Linux.  Virtual terminals
> are named ttyv* in FreeBSD.  If the Linux X server are ever made to
> work in FreeBSD, it must be ttyv* which the X server should be fooled
> to access.
>
> VT_ACTIVATE, VT_WAITACTIVE and VT_GETMODE ioctls are valid only for
> virtual terminals ttyv* and certainly result in error for pseudo ttys.
>
> I suspect that the fatal trap you are seeing has little to do with
> ttyv* symlinks and the real culprit lies somewhere else.
>
> Kazu

Hello Kazu
        This I understand, as I believe it's somewhere else in the
emulation changes between 3.2R and -current.  The devices are what we see
as the result of the error.  Major changes I see to the emulation code
from 3.2 to -current:

        1. A number of ioctl and VT_ changes
        2. divorce dev_t from major|minor bitmap.

I would expect one of these change is causing the problem.

Thanks again,

Eric