:I don't think this should go in at all.
:
:It increases the size of the proc structure (thereby affecting _all_
:processes) gratuitously.  While I'm generally in favour of having the process
:arguments kept around, the "BSD way" has been to only examine them in user
:memory, despite that being unreliable and just annoying.
:
:The benefits are fairly minimal, and I don't believe justify the cost
:incurred.

    If it weren't for 'setproctitle()' I would agree with you.  But since
    setproctitle() exists we have a serious mess on our hands.  Personally I
    would prefer to see it cleaned up as follows:

        * place a copy of the initial arguments in the struct proc as well
          as the uarea.
        * have the sysctl that limits the buffer size within the struct proc
          to something reasonable (e.g. 1K) but don't bother making 'ps'
          fall back to the uarea.  Allow a value of '0' indicating 'unlimited'
          (i.e. really means ARGS_MAX).
        * setproctitle() messes with the struct proc only
        * ps, top, et all use the struct proc only

    And, also, we need to get rid of the 'e' option to ps entirely.  It's a
    major security hole.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>