Jag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alexander Langer wrote:
> > Yes. Probably you've not built/booted a -current kernel before you build wo
> rld.
>
> Do you mean that I should build a new kernel *before* I do buildworld?
> Is that possible?

     Yes and yes.

> Some clarification would be great. I've looked at the FreeBSD Diary
> about staying current and the checking the handbook, but can't get this
> to work... help?

     If you try to use -current, the handbook (unfortunately) and any
web site (such as FreeBSD diary) are likely to be of little help (and,
in this case, are misleading), due the constantly-changing nature of
-current.  As others have said, in numerous postings since seemingly
time immemorial, anyone who wants to use -current must also follow the
-current mailing list (and preferably others).  At the very least (if
you've just joined -current), one should scan through the old -current
archives for at least a month or two back.  *THOROUGHLY reading
/usr/src/UPDATING is also a must.

     Yes, this does appear to be a lot of work, but, if you do this, you
get to find out about problems like "you must first build a kernel" (and
also the method for doing so).  Also, you may run into other problems.
You'll find out about any if you read -current.

     Also note that -current is not guaranteed to work.  As -current is
used for developing new features and additions, it can be buggy, and may
completely crash and burn at times.  Use it at your own risk.

--
        Darryl Okahata
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]