Yes, there was a change in the signal handling that requires the kernel
for 4.0 to be built and booted prior to building userland for 4.0.  (This
is not from experience, this is from watching the current mailing list for
the past year).  I believe the -current mailing list had lots of traffic
on this starting sometime in October.

"To keep in silence our designs, my friends would think I was a nut"
        Peter Gabriel, Solsbury Hill