On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, David O'Brien wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 07:00:01PM -0800, John Polstra wrote:
> > > The buildworld problem that I introduced is due to cc_fbsd directly
> > > compiling and linking in src/lib/libc/stdio/mktemp.c.  This is in my
> > > opinion a questionable practice, since it adds dependencies to the
> > > internals of the libc code, which has just been proven to bite. =)
> >
> > Yes, I agree.
>
> I disagree.  :-)
> I don't see why a plain function like mkstemp() should be written so
> specially.  Couldn't all the hiding/changing done for threads be done
> w/in open() itself?  Neither HP-UX 10.30 (which has kernel threads), nor
> Solaris 7 needs such open() hackery in mkstemp().

Given where we want to go with pthreads, and the proposed architecture,
I'm not sure why we need to have open -> _libc_open -> __open (or
whatever it is).  Why isn't using _open internally in libc sufficient?
open is a weak symbol for _open, and libpthread can override the open
(weak symbol).

Trying to make a libpthread out of libc_r which is hopefully near
its end of life, doesn't seem worth the effort, IMHO.

Dan Eischen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]