On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 02:51:11PM -0500, Jim Bloom wrote:
> I did the following and it worked for me:
>
>       cd /usr/src
>       make buildworld
>       make installworld
>       cd /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall
>       make install
>       cd /usr/src
>       make installworld
>
> The first make installworld terminates with an errors, but the second on
> goes through.

It can't be true!

After the first `make installworld' fails, we will have:
1) a new `libutil' without string_to_flags()
2) an old `libc' without setflags()
3) an old /usr/bin/install with string_to_flags() linked against libutil.

Apparently that (cd /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall; make install) will fail
with `/usr/lib/ld-elf.so.1: install: Undefined symbol "string_to_flags"'.

Seems you did something different...  maybe you just copied new xinstall
over an old /usr/bin/install?

--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA of the
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        United Commercial Bank,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age