On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> IMHO, ntp should be configured to use POSIX extensions on the i386.
> P1003_1B and _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING are enabled in the GENERIC
> i386 kernel (as of 2 weeks ago), so standard utilities should be free
> to use it.  If the running kernel doesn't support P1003.1b, then ntpd
> detects it at run-time, logs the fact and works around it.  The

This seems to depend on the relevant P1003.1b syscalls being supported
as stubs when the corresponding options are not configured.  ntp is
doing well if it falls back to another method after the syscalls fail.
(The syscalls are kind enough to return ENOSYS without generating a
SIGSYS like normal unsupported syscalls.)  The presence of the stubs
may also confuse autoconf.

> The situation might be slightly different on the Alpha since it's not
> clear to me whether P1003_1B is supported on the Alpha or not (it's
> not mentioned in Alpha GENERIC, though all the code implementing
> _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING seems to be machine-independent).

This is probably just bitrot in the alpha GENERIC.

Bruce