Greetings,

  I'm glad I saw Eugene's admendment first.
  My upgrade from 3.4-Stable to 4.0-Current went
  relatively okay yesterday.  Thanks to both Eugene
  and John.

  I have to add that I need to manually install /sbin/mknod
  first too.  If not, the "sh MAKEDEV all" won't work.
  I just went to src/sbin/mknod/ and did a make install there.

  I have to admit that the upgrade is pretty scary, and it
  involves a long downtime.  Took me almost 5 hours from
  cvsup to the second reboot.  Another 2 to "make world"
  again just to make sure. ( good tip, thanks )

  Now rebuilding XFree86. And possibly a few other apps,
  like libgtop.

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from John Baldwin's email
:>