On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 11:05:31AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I also think that a single guard page at the base of the
>     stack may be insufficient for some applications.  I'm
>     considering adding yet another field to vm_map_entry
>     'vm_pindex_t guard_pages' which allows the number of
>     guard pages to be specified (we can use mmap()'s offset
>     argument to pass the parameter).

In general, a given number of guard pages is insufficient for some (perhaps
non-existent) applications.  The basic idea is to catch typical stack
overflow.  Trying to always catch stack overflow is not practical.  Since
this is a heuristic error detection technique, I'm not sure how much
work/complexity it's worth to paramaterize the number of guard pages for
each mapping.

Jason