> I've taken this off list. I'm not sure we're quite addressing the same
> issue.

No, I think we were at angles for a bit here.  But I do believe that
this is something work copying to people on the list, as you do raise a
very good point.  I hope this was on -current. 8)

> > I've thought about this, and I think it would be a very bad idea.
> >
> > We want to keep this *simple*.  In the case of, eg. OSS, one might
> > expect:
> >
> >     dev_oss.ko
> >     oss_yamaha.ko
> >     oss_sb16.ko
> >
> > There's no need to add extra crap just to identify the vendor.  It
> > doesn't serve any really useful purpose - we will have
> > metainformation elsewhere that can be used to link modules
> > comprising a product together - there's no need to duplicate it
> > in the filename.
>
> It's not a question, primarily, of being able to identify the vendor
> from the filename, it's more the case of different vendors not both
> choosing the *same* filename thereby making it very difficult to install
> them both at the same time. I'm saying primarily since if we do have a
> vendor prefix in the filename it would make it easy to see where a
> module came from but that is not my main motivation for suggesting it.
>
> I'm proposing that the guidleline be that anyone wishing to publish
> their own modules (i.e. not contribute them to the FreeBSD source base)
> should effectively create their own namespace by prefixing the filename
> with a vendor code. This would make clashes a lot less likely and if
> necessary a registry of vendor codes would have to be made available.
>
> I can't see how you can avoid namespace clashes otherwise. Third party
> developers aren't likely to communicate with each other to ensure
> uniqueness so it's better that the naming convention provide a mechanism
> for such parties to ensure that the filenames they choose don't clash
> with other people's modules.

Ah, understood.  I'd be inclined to use a suffix, so that our
prefix-based classification scheme still worked, eg.

        dev_ahc_Adaptec.ko
        kern_descrypt_RSA.ko

etc.

> It'd be very irritating to pop a floppy in the machine that you got from
> some vendor, run install and then find that some important module had
> been overwritten from the vendor disk, or that the install failed
> because it couldn't copy over all the modules.

Understood now, yes.
\\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  m...@smith.net.au
\\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msm...@freebsd.org
\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msm...@cdrom.com