This is what I also thought. But how do I turn off write caching on IDE
disks. I know how to do on SCSI bit (mode page 8 byte 2 bit 2 clear), but
I have absolutely no clue how this can be achieved on IDE disks.

I normally turn off write caching on all drives I install. The drive shouldn't
shuffle the carefully sorted file system blocks.

Daniel