> I really don't understand the problems that everyone is having,
> myself.  I've been running netscape (communicator 4.5) in -current for
> ages now and just switched to 4.0 without any problems.  My netscape
> still continues to function just fine and has never crashed any of
> my system so much as once.
>
> Why the wide disparity in experience, I wonder?

On my system, running the FreeBSD 4.0[678] or 4.5 version, the setting
of MOZILLA_NO_ASYNC_DNS makes a noticeable difference.

With MOZILLA_NO_ASYNC_DNS turned off, Netscape uses normal name lookup
inside the netscape process itself. In 2.2.[78] this worked fine, in
3.0 I get frequent hangs if the name lookups take "too long". I can
avoid the hangs if I make sure that the name to IP address is in my
local name server cache (for instance by doing a manual nslookup or
similar on the name). This is of course rather cumbersome.

With MOZILLA_NO_ASYNC_DNS turned on, Netscape starts a separate (huge,
resource consuming) asynchronous DNS lookup daemon. But I don't get
the hangs.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no