On Fri, Mar 05, 1999 at 11:27:41AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :And what about including it as an alternative system compiler ?
> :
> :base:        cc      gcc     g++     c++
> :egcs:        ecc     egcc    eg++    ec++
> :
> :Would that be possible ? Like awk and nawk in the past ?! ;-)
> :
> :That would bering an option to people, who want to have it in
> :the base OS ...
>
>     Well, of course... but that could be a port as easily as it could be
>     put in the base system.

We could do what NetBSD did, which was have both and put an option
in /etc/make.conf to the effect of USE_EGCS, which would default
to off for now, and default to on when things shake out.

Of course, NetBSD knew they were going to egcs, so it wasn't that
big a deal for them.

--
Brian Cully                                             <sh...@rcn.com>
``I'm not surprised,'' said I. ``You created God in your own image,