>> >Such as ?
>>
>> Such as the ability to have more than one driver share the
>> same device, command generation counts and priority queuing
>> to allow correct 'replay' of overlapped commands when an
>> error occurs, etc.  See:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/~gibbs/cam.html
>
>That will probably need changes to work with ATA4's tagged queing at
>least...

I just read the ATA5 draft (couldn't find the last ATA4 draft at the wdc
website).  I don't see any issues here other than the fact that the effect
of overlapped commands on data integrity seems to be unspecified.  Are they
always handled in FIFO order?  Can reads be seek optimized?  What happens
in the case of a queued write after a queued read to the same location?  My
hope is that, since the spec does not allow you to specify the sorting
restrictions on a per request basis as you can in SCSI, FIFO ordering is
implied. They even mention that the feature is intended to overlap command
processing latency without mentioning the possibility of other
optimizations, so perhaps this really is the case. Too bad they didn't just
define the two bits necessary (and left as spares in the tag specification
register) to allow the same queuing feature set as SCSI.

>> Command queuing was a major factor in why I wrote the CAM code.  Solving
>> these issues is not trivial.
>
>Agreed, but have you looked at how ATA4 handles queing ??

Yes.

>> >Hmm, what for ??
>>
>> cdrecord, a userland disk format utility, camcontrol functionality,
>> etc. etc.
>
>He he, ATAPI dont need cdrecord as all ATAPI burners use the same
>command set (MMC), where your average SCSI burner has its own
>propietary command set (well, the ATA/ATAPI guys did get one thing
>right :) ),

Almost all newer SCSI cd burners use MMC now and cdrecord supports MMC
devices.  Why write another utility if there is already one that speaks the
necessary language that our users are familiar with?

>OK, I'm done discussing this (se my other mail), I'd rater spend
>my (very limitted) time productively.

Fair enough.

--
Justin