Alex Zepeda once wrote:

> > I'd like to voice my opposition to this. While it maybe an
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > acceptable way to work around poor (or non-existant) release
> > engineering of SOME software, making this a rule may defeat one of
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > the major purposes of shared libraries: drop-in replacement. Think
> > of libXaw3d, for example. What's wrong with different filenames for
> > different libs?

> Do you think that the Gnome libs are going to stand still long enough
> for someone (you) to write a drop in replacement?

See the the underlined part for reflection of my view on dealing
with SOME software (Gnome).

> Besides, most of the functionality that libXaw3d provides over libXaw
> is provided by Gtk+ themes.

This is a good knews. Does this mean, I can drop-in some GTk library
and make libXaw.so a symlink to it? This would only support my
point...

But in any case, the drop-in replacement is one of the promises shared
libraries pledge to deliver and do indeed deliver quite often. Using
smth like -soname _may_ break this, if the run-time linker will refuse
to use a different version of a library even if I want it to.

        -mi