Jeremy Lea once wrote:

> 3.  GNOME problems.
>   a.  GNOME has no release engineering.  The libraries break APIs for
>       every pico number bump just about.  Or they fix bugs and remove
>       workarounds at higher levels.  Also ESR's $%^*@ advice of release
>       early and release often means that they often manage three
>       releases in a 48 hour period.
[...]
> 1.  Use -soname for binaries.  Add this to $LDFLAGS or something, to get
>     a version number installed into a binary then create extra magic or
>     a script to test this in the DEPENDS.  I don't know if this is
>     possible, but there must be some field available which can be got
>     with either file(1) or objdump(1).  Same idea for scripts.

I'd like to voice my opposition to this. While it maybe an acceptable
way to work around poor (or non-existant) release engineering of
SOME software, making this a rule may defeat one of the major purposes
of shared libraries: drop-in replacement. Think of libXaw3d, for
example. What's wrong with different filenames for different libs?

        -mi