> Is this formal decision of core team ? I feel a huge despair, as a
> member of newconfig project ....

This was a core team decision, but I really do hope we can still
figure out some way of working together on a final hybrid of the best
ideas from both projects since this honestly wasn't done with the
intention of making the newconfig people unhappy, please believe me.

This is simply one of those unfortunate situations where two groups of
developers have worked in relative isolation from one another and come
up with more or less the same thing, the difference with new-bus being
that we were working just that much more closely with Doug Rabson (and
the others helping him) and had already used the new-bus stuff for
FreeBSD/alpha.  The core team did not make this decision lightly and
there was considerable debate over it until we finally made the
decision to take the clearest choice we could see before us and simply
synchronize the FreeBSD/alpha and FreeBSD/x86 code bases.

I also have to say that this has pointed out, once again, that
communication is really lacking between the various groups, especially
in situations where a language barrier exists.  Most of us didn't even
know about the newconfig project until comparatively recently, and I
didn't even really know about it until I saw you guys submit a paper
for the FREENIX track at USENIX.  Doug's new-bus stuff, on the other
hand, was a well known factor for at least a year and, as I noted, had
already made it to the Alpha platform, getting it to the x86 simply
being a project which was delayed by many various factors.  It would,
in fact, probably have gone into FreeBSD 6 months ago if everyone
involved had simply had a bit more free time.

However this situation came about, the core team also ultimately had
to make a decision one way or another and no matter *which*
alternative we picked, somebody was going to be the "loser" so it
wasn't even as if we had that many good alternatives.  The discussions
on merging the two efforts really didn't seem to be going anywhere and
the more we watched the two groups talk the more it seemed like they
simply weren't going to converge on their thinking on this.

I don't really like the word "loser" very much, however, and would
much rather that everyone focus instead on the best route forward from
here since we've made the decision, for better or for worse, and need
to figure out some way for everyone's best ideas to still "win" in
some way.  With that in mind, I would be more than happy to take you
and all the other newconfig project people out to dinner at the
upcoming USENIX conference, perhaps with Satoshi serving as
translator, along with Doug Rabson and any other new-bus people who'd
like to come.  Rather than sinking into despair, we really need to
start discussing how to fix the communications problems we've had in
the past since that will be addressing the *cause* rather than the
symptoms of our current problem.  I also truly feel that much can
still be salvaged in a number of different ways if we're willing to
put the well-being of FreeBSD first and foremost in our minds, and I'm
more than happy to do anything I can to make that happen.

- Jordan