In message <199904281914.maa08...@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon writes:

>:> I can't quite figure why they stuck the word "open" in there, because it
>:> couldn't possibly be more open than RIP.
>:
>:Probably because it was (at the time) in heavy "competition" with the OSI
>:IS-IS routing protocol. Those standards were *not* openly available. (I
>:believe they are now.)
>:
>:Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no
>
>    I consider ISIS dead these days, though I'm sure there are people who
>    still swear by it.

He, the Danish telecom is spending several millions DKR right now on a
study for the future strategy of their CMIP based network management,
so I'm sure somebody is running IS-IS somewhere too :-)

p...@freebsd.org               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!