Matthew Dillon <dil...@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

>    (fanfair!)

:-)

>    NFS attempts to realign packet buffers and trods all over the underlying
>    mbufs.  For TCP connections, several RPC's may be present in an mbuf
>    chain.  The realignment of one of them may destroy the others.  This does
>    not occur with UDP because each UDP packet contains only a single rpc.
>
>    Packet buffers may be unaligned for a number of reasons.  The main reason
>    is due to the 14 byte MAC header on the ethernet frame.  This causes the
>    remainder of the packet - the ip payload - to NOT be 4-byte aligned.

We're planning to try replacing some Solaris web servers with FreeBSD
machines in the near future. The documents are on a read-only NFS
filestore connected to the web servers with CDDI. (Updates will stay
on a Sun box.) Are we going to have nfs_realign problems if we use TCP
in this situation or should we stick with UDP?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch   d...@dotat.at   f...@demon.net
Arthur: "Oh, that sounds better, have you worked out the controls?"