On 11/16/12 16:45, Andriy Gapon wrote:
on 13/11/2012 18:16 Guido Falsi said the following:
My idea, but is just a speculation, i could be very wrong, is that the geom
tasting code has some problem with multiple vdev root pools.

Guido,

you are absolutely correct.  The code for reconstructing/tasting a root pool
configuration is a modified upstream code, so it inherited a limitation from it:
the support for only a single top-level vdev in a root pool.
I have an idea how to add the missing support, but it turned out not to be
something that I can hack together in couple of hours.

I can imagine, it does not look simple in any way!

So, instead I wrote the following patch that should fall back to using a root
pool
configuration from zpool.cache (if it's present there) for a multi-vdev root
pool:
http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/zfs-spa-multi_vdev_root_fallback.diff

The patch also fixes a minor (single-time) memory leak.

Guido, Bartosz,
could you please test the patch?

I have just compiler an r242910 kernel with this patch (and just this one) applied.

System booted so it seems to work fine! :)

Apologies for the breakage.

No worries, and thanks for this fix.

Also thanks for all the work on ZFS!

--