On Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Robert Huff wrote:

(While this may not be a strictly CURRENT issue, I asked on questions@, but have not found a solution.)

        Situation:
One of my boxes failed, and for various reasons it became easier to just scrub and rebuild it. Like its predecessor it will run CURRENT
        1) Using BSDinstall, I flushed then created the first disk:

ada2p1  freebsd-boot    128k
ada2p2  freebsd-swap    4g
ada2p3  freebsd-ufs     25g

        (There are non-bootable disks at ada0, -1, and -3.)

For a full clean install, I believe that bsdinstall should prompt about installing bootcode around here. I don't really understand from your procedure how bsdinstall was used; there might be some edge case where there is no prompt about bootcode.

2) Installed off the 9.0 CD, got it up and running, everything was good.
        3) Used csup (tag=.) to update the source tree as of 00:01 on 12/30.
        4a) Built world - OK.
        4b) Build kernel - OK.
        4c) Ran mergemaster - OK.
        4d) Installed kernel - OK.
        5) On rebooting, the loader(??) claims to not be able to find a
bootable partition - i.e. I get a screen that ends in "mountroot > ".
Providing the presumptive value by hand returns "error 19".
6) Boot using installation CD and use "gpart show" to double check device names and partitions; everything looks good.
        7) Try normal booting again, no go.

This is my first time installing to a completely GPT partitioned system, and I have (obviously) failed to grok something. I checked src/UPDATING and found nothing which covered this.
        What have I bungled, and how do I fix it?

I think you should investigate the 'bootcode' subcommand of gpart(8).

-Ben Kaduk