On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Kevin Oberman wrote:

        One possibility: I believe I labeled each of the partitions during
the gpt creation process.  Can I use those labels to (hopefully) by-pass
this issue?

Yes! This is the current recommended way of doing it.
cat /etc/fstab
# Device        Mountpoint              FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/gpt/swap   none                    swap    sw              0       0
/dev/gpt/root   /                       ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/gpt/tmp    /tmp                    ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/gpt/usr    /usr                    ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/gpt/var    /var                    ufs     rw              2       2

To avoid collisions, I recommend people use unique labels on each system. I sometimes pick a couple of letters from the system name or drive: xfswap, xfrootfs, xftmpfs, xfusrfs, xfvarfs.