On 2013/04/12, at 22:31, Scott Long <sco...@samsco.org> wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2013, at 7:43 PM, Rui Paulo <rpa...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2013/04/11, at 13:18, Gleb Smirnoff <gleb...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Lack of maintainer in a near future would lead to bitrot due to changes
>>> in other areas of network stack, kernel APIs, etc. This already happens,
>>> many changes during 10.0-CURRENT cycle were only compile tested wrt
>>> ipfilter. If we fail to find maintainer, then a correct decision would be
>>> to remove ipfilter(4) from the base system before 10.0-RELEASE.
>>
>> This has been discussed in the past. Every time someone came up and said
>> "I'm still using ipfilter!" and the idea to remove it dies with it.
>> I've been saying we should remove it for 4 years now. Not only it's outdated
>> but it also doesn't not fit well in the FreeBSD roadmap. Then there's the
>> question of maintainability. We gave the author a commit bit so that he
>> could maintain it. That doesn't happen anymore and it sounds like he has
>> since moved away from FreeBSD. I cannot find any reason to burden another
>> FreeBSD developer with maintaining ipfilter.
>>

> One thing that FreeBSD is bad about (and this really applies to many open
> source projects) when deprecating something is that the developer and release
> engineering groups rarely provide adequate, if any, tools to help users
> transition and cope with the deprecation.  The fear of deprecation can be
> largely overcome by giving these users a clear and comprehensive path
> forward.  Just announcing "ipfilter is going away.  EOM" is inadequate and
> leads to completely justified complaints from users.

I agree with the deprecation path, but given the amount of changes that
happened in the last 6 months, I'm not even sure ipfilter is working fine in
FreeBSD CURRENT, but I haven't tested it.

> So with that said, would it be possible to write some tutorials on how to
> migrate an ipfilter installation to pf?  Maybe some mechanical syntax docs
> accompanied by a few case studies?  Is it possible for a script to automate
> some of the common mechanical changes?  Also essential is a clear document on
> what goes away with ipfilter and what is gained with pf.  Once those tools
> are written, I suggest announcing that ipfilter is available but
> deprecated/unsupported in FreeBSD 10, and will be removed from FreeBSD 11.
> Certain people will still pitch a fit about it departing, but if the tools
> are there to help the common users, you'll be successful in winning mindshare
> and general support.

It's not very difficult to switch an ipf.conf/ipnat.conf to a pf.conf, but I'm
not sure automated tools exist. I'm also not convinced we need to write them
and I think the issue can be deal with by writing a bunch of examples on how to
do it manually. Then we can give people 1y to switch.

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo