On 30/10/2014 02:32, Steve Kargl wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 03:15:50PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
On 29 October 2014 12:49, Steven Hartland <kill...@multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
Hmm not sure I like this idea as it would make it more difficult to make a
copy / backup a kernel.

ATM when I want to copy a kernel for debugging its a one liner, splitting
debug symbols off to /usr/lib would prevent this.
To retain the current behaviour you can set DEBUGDIR= (i.e., empty),
as the debug file install path is ${DESTDIR}${DEBUGDIR}${KODIR}.
No, you can't.

su root
cp -pR /boot/kernel /boot/good

Where does DEBUGDIR enter the picture?  The above will copy
both kernel and kernel.symbol to /boot/good.  With your scheme
one loses kernel.symbol (along with all other *.symbol files?).
If one escapes to the boot prompt, she can do 'boot /boot/good/kernel',
will the boot process automatically find a (nonexistant?)
/usr/lib/boot/good/kernel.symbol.
Indeed, if my understanding of this proposal is correct it will make working with multiple kernels much harder.

Making things harder to manage vs saving a little bit of space on the root partition really doesn't sound like a good idea; especially when with the ZFS install, which I would suggest is becoming the norm, the root partition doesn't suffer from space issues anyway.