On 30/10/2014 14:40, Ed Maste wrote:
On 30 October 2014 10:26, Steven Hartland <kill...@multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
Yer that's the process that was in my head, if debug symbols aren't
available when savecore runs we're going to need a way to update / rerun
when they are available, or even better give it the ability to do the same
job with remote symbols?
Yeah, remote symbol support will be excellent (eventually).

Crashinfo already operates on the most recent dump by default, so the
solution could be as simple as adding a flag to fetch debug files if
not already installed. The user would only need to run crashinfo -f to
regenerate the crash information with debug data available (and we
could mention that explicitly in the crash report).

Setting DEBUGDIR= in /etc/src.conf will retain the current behaviour
of installing the debug data beside the kernel and modules (and
userland binaries and libraries). Does this adequately address your
use case?
Yep that works :)
Great.

I've been pondering this for so long that I may have forgotten not
everyone has the same context.

One thing to check would be to ensure that /usr is mounted when savecore
runs.
Indeed, but we're covered there: the crash info is generated by
/usr/sbin/crashinfo, which relies on /usr/bin/gdb, so it better be
mounted :)
Fantastic, thanks for taking the time to address my concerns, much appreciated :D