On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Julian Elischer wrote:

On 2/18/15 3:41 PM, Xin Li wrote:

The _only_ reason that I can think of is that more(1) does not clear
screen for certain terminals (done with 'ti' and 'te' sequences),
while less(1) when running as less does.

The less(1) behavior can be annoying to some people (sometimes even
myself when using less to show contents of a file and ^Z to paste
them), and unfortunately quite a few of them also happen to be the
more vocal ones when it comes to a change.

I find that behaviour infuriating

I page down to a place to get some text on the screen to use as a reference, then exit to run a command with that information, and *bam* the info I wanted to use has gone away.

It doesn't do that on csh. Or maybe I figured out how to prevent it long ago and forgot, but all I use is this:

setenv  PAGER   "less -RS"