On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Kevin Oberman wrote:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 5:10 PM, Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:
      On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Julian Elischer wrote:

            On 2/18/15 3:41 PM, Xin Li wrote:

                  The _only_ reason that I can think of is that more(1) does
not clear
                  screen for certain terminals (done with 'ti' and 'te'
sequences),
                  while less(1) when running as less does.

                  The less(1) behavior can be annoying to some people
(sometimes even
                  myself when using less to show contents of a file and ^Z to
paste
                  them), and unfortunately quite a few of them also happen to
be the
                  more vocal ones when it comes to a change.

            I find that behaviour infuriating

            I page down to a place to get some text on the screen to use as  a
reference, then exit to run a command with that information, and *bam* the info
I wanted to
            use has gone away.

      It doesn't do that on csh.  Or maybe I figured out how to prevent it long
ago and forgot, but all I use is this:

      setenv  PAGER   "less -RS"

You probably did what I used to do. Modify the termcaps/terminfo to eliminate
this behavior. See Exorcising the Evil Alternate Screen.

In the past, FreeBSD disabled this by default. It was changed several years
ago, but you can change it back as per the aboved referenced article.

I'm pretty sure I have not done that, it would show up in mergemaster. As far as I can remember, less(1) has never done that clear-the-screen thing on FreeBSD, which is why it is so jarring on Linux.