I like the idea, but the -l flag conflicts with a different usage for
SVR4 derived makes (on at least AIX, Irix, and Solaris):

          -l load
               Specifies that no new jobs (commands) should be started
               if there are others jobs running and the load average
               is at least load (a floating-point number).  With no
               argument, removes a previous load limit.

Maybe this should instead be a -d sub-option?

And I like the idea of adding the -l functionality described above.

--lyndon