>It's probably better to just get rid of the PID and use randomness
>throughout the name than to use 72 characters. 64^6 vs. 2*(72^3) .

I seem to be in the minority on this, but in general I *like* the
idea that the tempfiles include the pid.  It's bad because it makes
it easier for an evil-person to guess what the next tempfile will
be, but it's nice in after-the-fact situations, where there are a
bunch of tempfiles left over, and you're wondering which ones are
related (in the sense of having come from the same process, and
you can then check if the process is still running).

Not a big issue for me, as I doubt I have taken advantage of this
more often than about once every two years, but I thought I would
at least mention it.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer          or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute