> On 27. jaan 2017, at 1:40, Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya) <yaneurab...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>       I tried upgrading one of my workstations and unfortunately the
> freebsd-boot partition is too small (I follow manpage directions, exactly,
> and those seem to be too small as of 10.3-RELEASE timeframe), and I don’t
> have enough space or ability to resize the partition and make it bigger. So,
> I’m in need of a build knob to control the bloat, and/or having an
> alternative boot loader without geli/skein/crypto support compiled in. Would
> you be opposed to the work?
> Thanks,
> -Ngie

I do agree that since the geli knob is already there, it may do. Of course we
also can think of additional knobs, but there is an issue - it wont help just
to exclude some files, the additional features also do sit in the code, so the
replacement stubs will be needed, also testing them all over will take some
time. And the preprocessor spaghetti really is nasty thing to deal with;)

And then there is another issue (partly why I did the feature support in first
place) - as the kernel does not block user from enabling the features, the user
can end up facing non-bootable setup which is also not good, as user is using
perfectly legal options, and still the whole thing is just rendered unusable…

rgds,
toomas