On 05/22/18 13:47, dpolyg wrote:
I have one comment regarding usage of the drm2 on a "legacy" hardware.
Excuse me in advance if I misunderstand something.
For the last 2-3 years I'm playing with devices such as small form factor PCs from Shuttle:
http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsList?categoryId=69
or from Gigabyte:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Mini-PcBarebone
or Intel "NUC"s.
To my experience drm-next doesn't work on lower price (Celeron/Atom) models. Do I missing something?
Here is concrete example:
I have a Shuttle DS47: http://global.shuttle.com/main/productsDetail?productId=1718
running FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE and drm2.ko loaded + Xorg + compton.
Having that I made a box with a voice control and ability to make a SIP video call to it from a smartphone (WebRTC) (imagine "Amazon Show" powered by stock FeeBSD) but I never install any drm-next on it. Stock amd64 kernel used. No ports compiled. Only "pkg install ..." + custom code as the most front end.
After reading this thread I tried to compile drm-next on my DS47 box:

root@ShuttleD47:/usr/ports/graphics/drm-next-kmod # uname -a
FreeBSD ShuttleD47 11.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p10 #0: Tue May  8 05:21:56 UTC 2018 r...@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
root@ShuttleD47:/usr/ports/graphics/drm-next-kmod # make
===>  drm-next-kmod-4.11.g20180505_1 not supported on 10.x or older, no kernel
support.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/drm-next-kmod

Why drm-next thinks it lives on a 10.x kernel or older?
Is such usage case already considered as legacy?
Is this hardware supported by drm-next?
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Mini-Computers/zgbs/electronics/13896591011

That is most likely a typo, or at least not as good as it should be. drm-stable-kmod and drm-next-kmod are supported on CURRENT and will be supported on FreeBSD 11.2 (it's supported in stable right now). Older releases will, however, not be supported. But they still have drm2, I will not remove any drivers from releases or from STABLE.
Regards
--
Niclas