On 23 May 2018 at 05:48, Philip Homburg <pch-fbs...@u-1.phicoh.com> wrote:

> Turns out, you can't install FreeBSD using a USB stick image because the
> BIOS only support MBR. No idea why MBR support was dropped for the USB images.

We haven't "dropped" MBR support, and our amd64 memstick images are a
combined hybrid format and do in general boot on legacy systems. That
said, there are a number of firmware implementations that refuse to
boot from the hybrid format - this has been a problem with Lenovo
firmware in particular.

Those of you with a system unable to boot from our MBR images, can you
reply to the "Boot USB memstick with MBR" fork of this thread with
details about the system and firmware version?