On 19/09/19 18:04, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> What about gpart output of the pool drives?
>
> In general you would create zpools using gptids or gpt labels, not the
> devices, so you’re independent of device numbering. The boot loader should
> only be installed on drives that contain the boot pool (maybe you have old
> boot loaders on data drives?).

Actually the installer will at least some times use the adaX device to
create ZFS pools. At least it did for me when I recently rebuilt a
machine after a (multiple) disk crash.

So it could not be Kurt fault if he has a pool with adaX devices in it.

I installed the system on one disk and the installed used adaX to create
the pool. I added the second disk to the mirror a few days later.

Now I have:

  pool: zroot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: resilvered 24.6G in 0 days 00:09:41 with 0 errors on Tue Sep  3
16:10:08 2019
config:

        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zroot         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ada0p4    ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/zfs1  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Now, in the case of a mirror (or a zraid) this could be fixed by
detaching adaX devices and reattaching them using the label. Disvantage
is the cluster will need to resilver, causing some degraded time and
extra disk load.

--
Guido Falsi <m...@madpilot.net>