On 19. Sep 2019, at 19:15, Kurt Jaeger <li...@opsec.eu> wrote:

>>> I've made a few more details available here:
>
>>> https://people.freebsd.org/~pi/host/gpart.txt
>
>> What about gpart output of the pool drives?
>
> No gpart on the bck pool, raw drives.
>
>> In general you would create zpools using gptids or gpt labels, not the
>> devices, so you???re independent of device numbering. The boot loader should
>> only be installed on drives that contain the boot pool (maybe you have old
>> boot loaders on data drives?).
>
> I think not, because they are used as raw drives.
>
> Maybe that decision was an error in hindsight.

Yeah, it’s not optimal that way. I made it a habit to use GPT on all pools and
label partitions with the enclosure slots they’re in (makes it easier to not
make mistakes in case of emergency). I also leave a bit of space at the
beginning and end of the drive (allows adding in a boot partition later or more
flexibility when replacing the drive).

Anyway, I’m curious what the exact problem will turn out to be.

Cheers,
Michael