On 3/28/21 4:39 PM, Stefan Esser wrote:
After a period of high load, my now idle system needs 4 to 10 seconds to
run any trivial command - even after 20 minutes of no load ...

High CPU load or high disk load?
ZFS? Snapshots?
12.x? 13.x?

I've seen something similar: after a high load period, system crawled so much that services were not answering in a reasonable time (e.g. mail would fail with "no such mailbox"!).
Even rebooting didn't fix it, until I deleted some autosnapshots.
top or other tools would show no disk activity, although the disks were working as mad.

Not sure it's the same case you experienced, though.