> On Nov 11, 2022, at 4:29 AM, <louis.free...@xs4all.nl>
> <louis.free...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> I am still desperately trying to stop FreeBSD from sleeping, but I simply do
> not manage.
>
> It is really very annoying that I have to restart the machine every 10
> minutes, when I am working via SSH.

I think you will need to find the event triggering sleep (ACPI s1 / s3) every
10 minutes.

> So if any one has a solution, it would be very much appreciated!
>
> It should ….. be possible to kill / stop ACPI some how 😊
> If absolutely not possible in the actual build 😊, a cron job restarting the
> timer every 5 minutes perhaps !!???
>
> It is possible perhaps … that GNOME is initiating this, despite that the GUI
> powersetting is screenblank β€œNEVER”.

Probably. (or some other components of the GNOME)

I've dozens of VMs / baremetal machines used as servers and routers. None of
them sleep (without explicitly means such as acpiconf).
I've not use FreeBSD as desktop since about ten year ago.

> Whatever is causing the problem, the settings should be such that ^no
> whatever program^ should not be capable to initiate the sleepmode.
>

> Louis
> ------------------------
> I need to disable acpi and the indicated method for that is to add
> ^hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"^ in /boot/loader.conf .
> However that crashes my system !!!!!!
> Not only that, to make it work again I have to edit loader.conf on a system
> which does ^not start^.
>
> After a lot of searching Internet came to the help with, I could start the
> system again:
> 1. Select 3. Escape to loader prompt at the splash screen
> 2. Type set hint.acpi.0.disabled="0" on the loader prompt
> 3. Then type boot on the loader prompt
> edit the loader.conf
> Very very glad with that fix however
>
> However the problem is still there, no idea how to prevent the system from
> going to sleep (after about 10 minutes).
> No idea how to change those 10 minutes to a much longer time as well ....
>
> Note that I have gnome as gui and use the system more or less as server and
> manage the machine partly local via the GUI and partly remote via SSH.

I think you can disable GUI / GNOME completely and try again.

> Related to GNOME I did try ^gsettings set
> org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-timeout 0^, however
> that did not solve the problem as well.
>
> In the end there seems to two problems
> a) A BSD-issue ACPI-turn off in the bootloader is crashing the system ! ! and
> b) a GNOME issue (switching the system off during user inactivity, which is
> bullshit for a server / for ssh-login / with multiple users).
> What IMHO apart from the screen lock, this is not a GNOME task but an OS
> function to be configured by the system administrator.
>
> A third problem, not to be addressed here, is that recovery from sleep mode
> does not work on my system as well (even not S1).
>
> Most important for the moment is that the system keeps running / is not going
> down after x-time !
>
> Louis

Best regards,
Zhenlei