On Sun, 13 Nov 2022 09:53:00 -0800
Steve Rikli <s...@genyosha.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 04:47:40PM +0100, louis.free...@xs4all.nl wrote:
> > I noticed that after disabling gdm in /etc/rc.conf ^"gdm_enable="N"^ the
> > system stays active.
> > However ..... that is also the end the GUI .... in this case GNOME.
> >
> > Since I could not work which a machine hibernating every ^10 minutes^, I
> > have disabled gdm for the moment.
> > That does not take away that that is ...... ridiculous !!
>
> Seems like you aren't alone in that opinion -- there are several threads
> for multiple OSes about this same topic. Kirk's findings below match my
> recollection -- this is Gnome default behavior nowdays.
>
> In any case, since we obviously can't use the Linux systemD settings to
> control the behavior in FreeBSD, a few folks mentioned other workarounds
> with things like dconf; e.g. this suggestion which came originally from
> the Arch linux folks:
>
> https://twitter.com/_neelc/status/1487200568149831681
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GDM#GDM_auto-suspend_(GNOME_3.28)
>
> Something like:
>
>   sudo -u gdm dbus-launch gsettings set \
>   org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'nothing'
>
> >From the threads, it sounds like part of the problem is this behavior and
> settings are per-user, so making a system-wide change is hard. Not sure
> how this workaround will play in your situation.
>
> My FreeBSD servers don't run a gui display manager; my Debian laptop
> runs gdm3 display manager but I switched to Xfce for the window manager
> around the time Gnome3 came out (too many changes for my taste).  Fwiw
> the Xfce Power Manager has controls for system power save / sleep mode
> for "On battery" and "Plugged in", including "never".

Found these.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/289640/how-to-create-a-default-system-wide-dconf-setting-starting-from-just-created-ad

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1038184/how-to-lockdown-system-wide-settings-with-dconf

/etc/ in those should be read /usr/local/etc/ on FreeBSD.
And possibly defaults of each application are stored
under /usr/local/share/ or under /usr/local/lib/.

BTW, I'm basically using x11/mate, a fork from Gnome2.
It doesn't sleep by default on AC powerline.
(Old installation succeeding Gnome2 settings. So current default could
be different, though.)

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junch...@dec.sakura.ne.jp>